Friday 5 October 2007

Drawing on Fabric

Started to look at creating the work from the paper and stitched samples on to fabric. I started in the same way I had done with the paper, glue down paper text samples and then paint dye over. Using the dye would give me the same colours as the paper.


What I found was that as the fabric took the water more the colours merged to give different shapes to the edges. Also I was able to stitch much more heavy into the fabric so the black stitching is more dense than the paper versions.
With each sample I tried slightly different ways to add the dye looking at how much water had tobe applied before the colours started to weaken.
With all of them adding the black stitching really brought the shapeout and changed the colour of the dye.
These could look great as the side of a bag where the dyes are used to colour the rest of the fabric.

Next - handstitching along the same lines...This time I wanted to try using layers of chiffon to create the colours.. plus the useof a varigated thread and running stitch created textures direction and holds the chiffon down. Under the chiffon are more paper text samples.The close upbelow you can see the effect better.

This is the sample finished.
Tate Modern will open a Louise Bourgeois exhibtion next week. One of her Maman spiders has been errected outside the Tate building.... Through work I have tickets for myself and my friend L to visit. Work have a corperate membership so we get to borrow the cards for an evening.

I have also had a chance to take some photos of the sculpture at Guildford University. Its called Knife Birds by Bridget McCrum. Follow the link and look at her portfolio the Knife Birds are currently the first image shown. The slide show below are my photos.

1 comment:

Lesley said...

I love the sample with the chiffon layers and handstitching. Very textural. L